Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Red, Red Wine

So far during the pregnancy, I haven't had any major or unusual cravings. Unless, of course, you count the need to place food into my mouth no fewer than every 3 hours a craving. Once, at around 12 weeks, I had a longing for green olives, and so when M brought them home, I finished off nearly half the jar in one sitting (note: I am not terribly interested in green olives anymore).

Otherwise, however, overall "cravings" have been limited to "see picture of food, want food" or "smell food, want food". This includes stuff I normally wouldn't eat - such as McDonald's. Today I caught an imaginary whiff of McDonald's (I say "imaginary" because there wasn't actually any around me) and I have since arranged to have lunch there tomorrow.

I haven't even missed beer all that much, in spite of the fact that it is a beloved beverage of choice for me. What I have truly missed, however, is red wine. OH! How I miss it! I would bathe in the stuff at this point.

A lot of people, upon hearing of this particular issue, remind me that it's probably OK for me to imbibe a little - especially now that I'm in second-trimester-land. And being of the sort who hasn't been denying herself much (yeah, that's right, I've had tuna... and I'll be damned if I'm leaving feta off my giant Russo's salad), I'm not totally opposed to the idea of having a small glass every now and again just to take the red wine edge off. But somehow I haven't done it yet. I've had opportunity. And I don't look so pregnant as to be in fear of being judged by others seeing me drink a glass (all the average onlooker would probably think is, "hey, chubby lady drinking wine"). So I'm not sure what's holding me back. Because it certainly isn't lack of wanting it. Because, yeah, I want it. I want it bad.

No comments: