Friday, May 11, 2007

Cute stuff

OK, so while I said I want to start the Weeble off on as non-consumerist a foot as humanly possible, it is really, really difficult to not love all the incredibly cute baby stuff out there. I spent weeks - maybe months - trying to decide on the bedding alone because there were so many great options. Granted, most of the stuff I tend to be attracted to is WAY out of my league price wise. Honestly, paying upwards of $400, no matter how much I love it (and I do) strikes me as asinine. Especially considering there shouldn't really be much of anything in the crib with the baby, including baby bumpers, quilts, and sleep positioners. So unless you find a company that will sell pieces separately, you'd be paying a lot of money for a lot of stuff you couldn't really use.

As for us, we decided on a ridiculously cute and happy set called Birdhouse by Pixel Pieces, which arrived last week much to my delight.
Now, with bedding in hand, furniture awaiting delivery, and the spare bedroom being gradually cleared out to make room for the new family member, I am ready to go.

M and I aren't really baby decor types. We love animals and alphabets and bugs as much as the next person, but frilly-baby-cute isn't really our thing. So we wanted the kid's room to be pretty, fun, but most of all, cool. So after picking out the boring stuff like the carpet and paint (both will be neutral), I'm on a mission to find cool-baby-cute elements that will turn her room from a utilitarian nursery to totally sweet digs.

So far, my favorite find (after the bedding and the furniture) is Wallcandy's Dottilicious kit of 80 multi-colored dots in different sizes. These nifty little dots peel and stick so they can be moved around at will without damaging wall paint. How bright and fun are these things??

My next mission is to find a crib mobile. I remember having one over my crib (or at least, I think I remember one) as a baby, and I've heard babies think they're just the neatest thing since sliced bread. So far, I've found only one I even remotely liked. Too bad it's $90. Yikes! Needless to say, I'll be putting on my crafty-lady hat and trying to make something myself.

Beyond the dots and the homemade mobile, there's not much left to pick out for cool-baby-cute. Then it's back into utilitarian mode. Figuring out what kind of bottles to go with, which waterproof sheet to get, how many pacifiers we'll need.

Ah, but in the end, that is going to be one damn cool room our kid gets to live in. And hooray for us, the cool digs will be right across the hall from our own bedroom. Perhaps our room will absorb some of that cool just by way of proximity. Or maybe I'll just get TWO sets of dots - one for Weeble's room, one for ours.

No comments: