Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Spreading the news

Once we got the first ultrasound and confirmation that, indeed, there is a baby, we started telling everyone else. Besides the North Dakota family that found out early (along with my mother around that same time), only a few other people found out. This usually happened when I wasn't drinking, which is highly unusual for a booze-hound such as myself. Otherwise, we kept it generally under wraps until almost 14 weeks. But with ultrasound picture in hand, the news was too much to keep to ourselves.

I'm still amazed we managed to hold it in that long. There times when I could feel the news trying to escape me like some freaky alien pushing against the inside of my chest walls. Telling M's parents was probably the most fun, since they were so taken off guard and surprised they could barely react. After years of listening to us repeat "no kids, no kids, no kids" over and over again, they had probably all but given up on getting a grandkid out of us. So being able to give them such a happy surprise remains one of my favorite things about this pregnancy so far.

No comments: