Friday, February 16, 2007

Double or nothing

So the $10 bet became a $20 bet only a day or two after we found out I was pregnant. That Sunday night we found out, M had a vivid dream about a girl, which was enough to convince him that the kernel-sized embryo in me would be of the female persuasion. Upon presenting this notion to me, I responded that I simply had no feeling either way (who does at that point?), so I couldn't commit to one gender over the other. To which he responded, "Double or nothing, it's a girl." So here we are today, with a $20 bet.

I still have no feeling of certainty either way. If I'm really honest with myself, I will probably say that I hope it's a girl, even though "healthy baby" is truly the most important thing. Every mother-to-be says that, but now I know why. It's true. So part of me thinks that because deep-down I want the girl, it MUST be a boy. That's how it usually works for me, so I continue to think of boys names and what it would be like to raise a boy. But then when I imagine the child - all born, present, in this world, and growing up - I think of her as a girl.

Everyone else in our world is split - half say girl, the other half say boy. M and I alternate between "he," "she," and "it" (the worst of all unknown-gender-baby pronouns), but have dubbed it "The Weeble" for official purposes.

We got our first ultrasound pictures of Weeble. There's not much to see. A head, a spine, a brain, legs, arms... the usual stuff. But so much is lost in the translation of mere pictures from that experience. Seeing it move was by far the most wonderful, amazing part. When it kicked its little legs and waved its little bud arms, you realize - wow, it's a little person in there.

No comments: