Friday, May 16, 2008

Crying it Out

These are tough times.

I'm sitting in our living room, listening to the heart-wrenching sound of my daughter crying herself silly. It is nearly 10:00 - about 2 hours after her usual bedtime. Of course, her bedtime has slipped considerably in the past few days as she has decided that going to sleep is not really her thing, regardless of how exhausted she is. And she is definitely exhausted today, as she was yesterday, and as she was the day before.

Fiona used to be a champion sleeper. By the time I returned to work after my maternity leave, she was frequently sleeping through the night. And the nights she did wake up, it was to be fed just once, and I was happy to bring her to the big bed with me where she'd remain for the duration. Eventually she got to a point where she wasn't waking up hungry, and she slept all the way through almost every night. I counted myself among the lucky ones.

Then disaster struck - in the form of two top teeth - about six weeks ago. She was pretty uncomfortable with the new chompers breaking through. Then she got the mysterious itchy rash that forced us to stop solids for a bit. Taking the food she had grown accustomed to out of the picture messed with her hunger levels a little, so we were back to waking up for food in the wee hours.

After a couple of particularly rough nights a few weeks back, plus the fact that M's parents would be soon be taking her for an entire weekend while he and I were off for a wedding in New Hampshire, pushed us to what I called "Baby Sleep Bootcamp." I had planned to allow for lots of crying it out, difficult nights, and one really pissed off baby. Fortunately for all of us, Fiona did pretty well. She only hollered a little bit a couple times, and the few times she woke up in the wee hours, she put herself back to sleep after a little fake crying. All was well until this week. For whatever reason, the past 3 nights have been a nightmare again. Last night, I gave in when she woke up at 1:30 - only 2 hours after we'd managed to finally get her to sleep after much cajoling, rocking, and soothing - and I brought her to bed with me. Even then, she was not to be swayed, and she buffeted against me all night. I, too, am exhausted.

And now, as I have been writing, she has finally passed out. We went in three or four times during the howl-fest to reassure her that we were still around.But in between those visits, we let her scream it out. And lo and behold, it worked. Painfully, but here we are... and it is quiet. She fell asleep while sitting up, and slouched over her own lap. We gently put her into a position that would not cut off the blood supply to her legs, and she remained asleep. I am cautiously optimistic for now.

That said, I worry about of the sanity my generous in-laws will retain after this weekend when M and I leave Fiona in their care for two full nights. Let's face it: letting your baby scream with misery and exhaustion is not for wimps. Good thing they're not wimps. I'm a wimp. But then, I'm her mother.

2 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

Ugh, good luck. It's not fun. But I promise, the more consistent you are, the faster it works. We did it back in February with our kids. Sometimes there are still sleep disruptions (illness, travel, whatever), but as long as we're consistent and don't reinforce bad habits, they usually go back to normal pretty quickly. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend reading Dr. Ferber's "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems." It really helped me understand the "why" and the "how" of sleep training / CIO, and I felt like I was able to both do it more effectively, and feel better about what I was doing. The bottom line is that you have to be kind of a hard-ass and commit to it 100% for a few days, and it TOTALLY works.

Anyways, sorry for the novel. Really, just wanted to say good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Asleep slouched over her own lap brought back memories for me because when you were less than a year old you did the same thing once when you got scolded for doing something wrong and I plunked you down on the sofa and let you cry it out and when you became silent and I checked on you, there you were sound asleep, all slumped over, neck crimped to one side; a vision of innocence!!!